Schedule of Copyhold & Freehold Properties

 

FORMER COPYHOLD PROPERTIES AND FREEHOLD ENCLOSURES OF WASTE LANDS

All the properties are copyhold unless described as freehold.  Mortgages are noted only where the mortgagee sold a property or the mortgagee is of particular interest.

 

1.  Seaton Cottage 33, Greyroofs 34, Devon Cottages 35 and 1, 2, 3 & 4 Devon Villas 37-41 West Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7RG.

a) Enclosed (apart from site of 1,2,3 & 4 Devon Villas) 23 June 1814 by Thomas Hutchins.

b) Transferred by Thomas Hutchins to James Coles 30 April 1838. Occupier T Hutchings labourer in a house he had built.

c) Described in tithe award of 1842 as “cottage and garden” parcel 1184. Occupier James Hutchins. Owner James Coles.

d) Transferred by James Coles dec’d to his infant grandson William James Coles 1 May 1848. Occupier Elizabeth Brown widow.

e) Transferred by William James Coles to Edward Woolls attorney at law of Uxbridge, 12 June 1861. Now 2 cottages.

f) Transferred by Edward Woolls dec’d to his sons George Harman Woolls and Edward Woodruffe Woolls 7 June 1873.

g) Transferred by above to John Henry Saunders 9 July 1873. Occupiers Charles Winter and James Winter.

h) Site of 1,2,3 & 4 Devon Villas enclosed by J H Saunders 19 March 1874.

i) Enfranchised by J H Saunders 17 April 1874.

 

2.  The Dower Cottage, Hibbert Lodge, Chestnut Mews, Chestnut Cottage, The Tree House, 1-3 Pond Cottages, Two Roofs, Moordown, Parkstone, The Red House & Cheam & land behind Gold Hill East (Cherry Tree Lane & Meadowcroft), Chalfont St Peter, SL9 8DL

a) Transfer of tenement near Goldhill called Vynorestenement by John le Vynor to William ate Grove 8 May 1335.

b) Grant of a croft called Vynorescroft by the lord to Thomas le Shepherde for 7 years 2 December 1357.

c) Transfer of one croft called Chillestres & another croft called Vynoures by Walter Stondon to Thomas Smyth alias King 15 May 1454.

d) Transfer of one croft near Goldhill called Chelestre 4 acres & one croft next to it called Vyners 4 acres by Thomas & Isabel King to William & Joan Russell 20 October 1461.

e) Transfer by Joan Russell dec’d formerly the wife of William Russell to their son William Russell 15 May 1499.

f) Transfer by William Russell dec’d to his son William Russell 20 October 1502.

g) Edmund Rydyng has taken from the lord Chelestres & Viner 21 July 1530.

h) Transfer of Chelesters & Vyvers from Edmund Rydyng to Thomas & Margaret  Rydyng 27 June 1546.

i) Transfer of Chelesters & Vivers by Thomas Ridinge to John Hill 11 December 1565.

j) Transfer of Chillesters by William Smewen to his wife Jane Smewen for life then his daughter 26 April 1593.

k) Transfer of Vives (2 acres) by Arthur Noble to John Pratt 8 October 1594. Transferred by John Pratt to himself & his wife Alice 13 October 1602 & resettled by them 9 May 1603

l) Transfer of Viccars & Chillesters by Arthur Pennington dec’d to his grandson/nephew John Pennington 11 April 1682.

m) Transfer of messuage with barns and lands adjoining Goldhill on the northwest side & the land of the dowager Anne Lady Jefferyes on the north east side by John Pennington to John Tredway 15 October 1698.

n) Transfer of messuages & 7 acres at Gold Hill by John Treadway to John Russell 15 October 1711. Occupied by Richard Hunt.

o) Transfer of 2 messuages & 7 acres by John Russell to Richard Hunt 22 October 1720. Messuages occupied by John Hunt & William Belson & land by Richard Hunt.

p) Transfer of messuages (occupied by William Hunt & Job Green) & 7 acres (occupied by William Hunt) by Richard Hunt dec’d to his son William Hunt 28 November 1818

q) Transfer of 8 messuages (6 built by William Hunt) occupied by William Hunt, John Bowden, Simeon Franklin, Thomas Hunt, Francis Andrews, Thomas Scillum, James Evans & Josiah Hunt & 7 acres occupied by William Hunt by William Hunt to Nicholas Backshall Flint 12 November 1823 for £735.

r) Transfer of above property by Nicholas Backshall Flint to Lt General Terence O’Loghlin of The Grange for £1,000 4 December 1828. Occupiers William Hunt, John Walker, James Berrington, Job Green, Thomas Hunt, Francis Andrews, Thomas Scillum, Henry Weatherley & Josiah Hunt.

s) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as Parcel 588 “House, outbuildings, yards & garden”. Parcel 589 “Cottages & garden”. Parcel 590 “4 tenements & yards”. Parcel 591 “Home Meadow – grass”. Parcel 592 “meadow plot – grass”. Parcel 593 “arable”. Owner Charlotte O’Loghlin. Occupier George Shakespeare.

t) Transfer of above property by Terence O’Loghlin dec’d to his wife Charlotte O’Loghlin 14 October 1844.

u) Transfer of above cottages & 7 acres for £315 by Charlotte O’Loghlin to Jonas Wise 19 October 1849. Occupiers Widow Berrington, Job Green, the other cottages empty. The 7 acres now or late in the occupation of William Hunt.

v) Transfer of the above cottages & 7 acres by Jonas Wise dec’d to his wife Mary Wise 25 June 1879.

w) Transfer of above by Mary Wise dec’d to James Pedder 12 October 1881.

x) Enfranchised by James Pedder 22 November 1881. Tithe map parcels 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, & 593.

 

3.  Waterhall, 33 Amersham Road, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0PA

a) Transferred by Thomas Bowler to Margaret Downes daughter of Ralph Downes yeoman 25 April 1625. (Court roll missing see reference to this in the next entry of 7 October 1663).  Transferred by Edward Morforde to Thomas Bowler 18 December 1604

b) Transferred by Margaret Butterfield (formerly Margaret Downes) & her husband Thomas Butterfield yeoman to themselves in trust for themselves & their heirs 7 October 1663.

c) The death of Thomas Butterfield who held Waterhall by copy of the court rolls is presented 1 October 1698. His heir is his daughter Anne wife of Ralph Munck.

d) Transferred by John Wealand to Robert Bennett 15 October 1698. Occupier Ralph Munck.

e) Transferred by Robert Bennett dec’d to his son Thomas Bennett 18 October 1718.

f) Transferred by Thomas Bennett to Thomas and Elizabeth Carter 20 October 1722. Occupiers William Nash and Anne Buck widow.

g) Transferred by Thomas Carter dec’d to Robert Rockwell 24 September 1744.

h) Transferred by Robert Rockwell dec’d to his brother Henry Rockwell 30 September 1760.

i) Transferred by Henry Rockwell dec’d to John Jones 17 October 1767. Occupied by Thomas Harwick and Thomas Lane or one of them.

j) Transferred by John Jones dec’d to his son William Jones 25 November 1799. Occupiers Joseph Chap and Thomas Lane.

k) Transferred by William Dennis Jones dec’d to his wife Anne Jones and son William Dennis Jones 30 April 1838. Occupiers James Douglas and James Phillips.

l) Transferred by W D Jones dec’d to his son Daniel Jones 30 July 1841. Occupiers J Douglas and J Phillips.

m) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “cottage and garden” parcel 231 and “cottage and garden” parcel 1141. Occupiers as above. Owner Daniel Jones.

n) Transferred by Daniel Jones jeweller of Gloucester St Clerkenwell to Charles Keen of Amersham bricklayer 2 August 1893. Property unoccupied.

o) Transferred by Charles Keen dec’d to his granddaughters Agnes Harris & Kate Harris both of Brisbane Queensland who transferred it to their uncle Frederick Keen of Amersham bricklayer 8 March 1894. Occupied by James Douglas & John Hutchings.

p) Presentment that Frederick Keen had granted a lease to Captain Ford without a licence from Lord of the Manor whereby his copyhold became forfeited to the Lord 8 January 1897. A licence was granted on 14 May 1898.

q) Transfer by Frederick Keen to Elizabeth Keen for £100 8 January 1904. Three Cottages formerly two cottages formerly occupied by James Douglas & John Hutchings.

r) Enfranchised by Elizabeth Keen 5 August 1909. Three cottages.

 

4.  The Waggon and Horses Copthall Lane Chalfont St Peter SL9 0BU

a) Enclosed by William Boddy 30 April 1838 with cottage erected by him.

b Transferred by William Boddy to George Harman 30 July 1841. Occupied by W Boddy.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “beer house and garden” parcel 133. Occupier Samuel Whitlock. Owner George Harman.

d) Transferred by George Harman to his nephew Samuel Harman 30 June 1875. Occupier Samuel Whitlock.

e) Transferred by Samuel Harman dec’d to his executors William Barden Harman, John Muir Curwen & John Courtenay Jackson 2 August 1893. Occupier Ebenezer Windsor.

f) Enfranchised by The Law of Property Act 1922 on 1 January 1926.

g) Compensation Agreement 20 December 1935. Occupier Harmans (Uxbridge) Brewery Limited.

 

5.  Part of Burnham House, Market Place, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9EQ. (This is the larger part with the other part being Property 28 to the east of this property).  

a) Transferred by William Cawdrey to Joseph Cawdrey 18 October 1784.

a) Transferred by Hannah and Joseph Cawdrey to Thomas Harris 9 January 1807. Occupied formerly by Anne Crawford now William Cawdrey.

b) Transferred by Thomas and Sarah Harris to George Serle 10 October 1809. Occupied by William Cawdrey.

c) Transferred by George Serle to George Ive 4 December 1828. Occupied by G Serle.

d) Transferred by George Ive dec’d to his trustees James Fennell, John Staple Ive & Edward Eley 18 March 1835.

e) Transferred by John Staple Ive & James Vernell to Thomas Ward 30 April 1838.

f) Transferred by Thomas Ward to John Chantry 30 July 1841. Occupied by Luke Coleman.

g) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “house & yards” occupied by Luke Coleman parcel 58. Owner John Chantry.

h) Transferred by John Chantry to Josiah Cato 30 October 1854. Occupied by Luke Coleman.

i) Transferred by Josiah Cato to Joseph Coleman 19 May 1869. Occupied by Joseph Coleman.

j) Enfranchised by Joseph Coleman 10 February 1877.

 

6.  28, High Street, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QA

a) Part A transferred by Hester Clarke dec’d to George Holder 27 August 1744. Occupied by William Russell.

b) Part B transferred by Hester Clarke dec’d to William & Elizabeth Nash 29 October 1748 (court transcript missing).

c) Part A transferred by Mary Holder widow of George Holder to Timothy and Constance Hunt 7 May 1757. Occupied by George Sedgewick.

d) Part B transferred by William & Elizabeth Nash to Timothy & Constance Hunt 7 May 1757. Formerly occupied by Thomas Emmursum and now Thomas Woods.

e) Whole transferred by Constance Hunt dec’d to her daughter Constance Hunt 19 May 1779. Occupied by George Sedgewick.

f) Whole transferred by James King and his wife Constance King nee Hunt to John Thompson baker 19 October 1789. Occupied by George Sedgewick.

g) Transfer by John Thompson dec’d to his wife Eddy Thompson 28 November 1818. Occupied by William Ball.

h) Transferred by Eady Thompson dec’d to her son William Thompson 30 April 1838. Occupied by widow Alderman.

i) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “tenement & yard” parcel 1117. Occupier Sarah Hatherley. Owner William Thompson.

j) Transfer by William Thompson (son of the previous William Thompson) to John Howitt 9 August 1865). Occupier Frederick Dancer.

k) Transfer by John Howitt to William Alfred Dell 17 October 1894. Occupier George Perry.

l) Transfer by William Alfred Dell to George Allington Charsley (steward of the Manor) 8 February 1898. This was done before the Lord of the Manor (Charles Edward Moore) in person at Mumfords.

m) Enfranchised by George Allington Charsley 6 April 1898. Then unoccupied.

 

7.  Land at the eastern end of Orchard Grove between Goldhill North and Nicol Road Chalfont St Peter SL9 9EX (Beechview, Crail, Ashdown House, Grove House, The Clock House, Prospect Cottage, Chung Ying House & The Royal British Legion Hall).

a) Part (with a cottage thereon) enclosed by Ralph Treadway for his life then his son Thomas Treadway 7 October 1663.

b) Death of Thomas Treadway & his daughter & heir Jane Treadway presented.  Her heir is her uncle George Treadway 8 October 1683. Transferred to him 1 October 1684.

c) Part (a cottage) transferred by George Tredway (inherited from his niece Jane Tredway) to John Monk weaver 6 October 1686. Occupied by Dorcas Tredway spinster.

d) Part (a cottage) transferred by John Monk dec’d to his son Thomas Monk 11 October 1709.

e) Part transferred by John Monk as mortgagor in default to John Crockford as mortgagee 15 October 1757. Occupiers William Smith & John Franklin. (Now 2 cottages)

f) Part transferred by John Crockford to Thomas Monk heel maker 22 October 1764. Occupied by John Franklin & James Edlin.

g) Part transferred by Thomas Monk dec’d to his daughter Martha Nash 24 October 1769. Occupied by John Franklin & James Edlin.

h) Part (3 cottages) transferred by Daniel & Anne Pope dec’d to their son Luke Pope 16 October 1771. Occupiers Richard Chipps, Daniel Cock & Thomas Stringer.

i) Part transferred by Martha Nash to George Woodward 15 April 1776.

j) Part transferred by Luke Pope to George Woodward 19 May 1779. Occupiers Richard Chipps, Daniel Cock & William Grange. This land was inherited by Luke Pope from his parents as an entail. He had wrongly transferred it to George Woodward as an absolute owner. He retransferred it to G. Woodward on 5 July 1779 by means of a common recovery which broke the entail.

k) Transferred by George Woodward dec’d (G Woodward had bought the 2 cottages from Martha Nash, demolished all 5 cottages & built a new house which he occupied) to Joseph Lee 15 October 1792.

l) Transferred by Joseph Lee to Robert Frisby 25 November 1799.

m) Transferred by Robert Frisby dec’d to Edward Howis 23 February 1835.

n) Transferred by Edward Howis dec’d to his greatgrandson Edward Gunter Howis 30 April 1838.

o) Described in tithe award of 1842 as house, garden & orchard. Parcel 622 owned & occupied by Simeon Edwards.

p) Transferred by Edward Gunter Howis to Simeon Edwards 24 July 1843.

q) Transferred by Simeon Edwards dec’d to his brother James Edwards 20 July 1881.

r) Transferred by James Edwards dec’d (former bailiff of the manor) to his trustees Mrs Eliza Edwards, James Edwards & John Henry Witham 10 June 1885.

s) Transferred by James Edwards (Eliza Edwards & John Henry Witham having died) to Arthur Robert Verschoyle 8 January 1904.

t) Enfranchised by Arthur Robert Verschoyle 6 May 1907.

 

8.  Part of Willow Tree House, Layters Green Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 8TH

a) Transferred by William Smith as mortgagor in default to Daniel Coggs as mortgagee 1 messuage & 3 cottages 3 May 1709. Occupied by William Smith, John Tice, Mary Monke, & Anne Ives.

b) Transferred by Daniel Coggs dec’d to his son Daniel Coggs 20 October 1722.

c) Transferred by Daniel Coggs of London stationer to John Bennett of Chalfont St Peter tobacconist 12 October 1726. Occupiers John Paine, John Ingram, Sarah Rogers & John Rolf.

d) Transferred by John Bennett dec’d to his brother Thomas Bennett 15 October 1757. One house occupied by Isaac Rodwell.

e) Transferred by Thomas Bennett of Uxbridge cordwainer to Thomas Rolfe 19 May 1779. Occupied by Joseph Honour.

f) Transferred by Thomas Rolfe of Harlington to Nathaniel Hunt 17 October 1804. Occupied by Nathaniel Hunt.

g) Transferred by Nathaniel Hunt dec’d to his son John Andrew Hunt who transferred to Charles Gurney of Layters Green farmer 30 July 1841.

h) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “cottage & garden” occupied by John Warren. Parcel 942. Owner Charles Gurney.

i) Transferred by Charles Gurney to George Healey 10 October 1850 confirmed 12 May 1852 in trust for Mrs Isabella Evans formerly Isabella Jones.

j) Forfeited to the Lord of the Manor after 3 proclamations 10 June 1891 for want of a claimant on the death of George Healey as trustee of Isabella Evans.

 

9.  Messuages, malthouse & meadow on the north side of The High Street & piece in Oldfield Chalfont St Peter (1-13 High Street Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QE & piece of open land between Layters Green & Maltmans Green School) and part of property 20.

a) Part A transferred by Joseph Butterfield malster to his grandson Thomas Hunt malster (messuage, brewhouse, adjoining meadow & 1 acre in Oldfield) 17 October 1696.

b) Part A transferred by Thomas Hunt dec’d to his daughters Mary, Rebecca, Martha & Elizabeth under age, mortgaged to Elizabeth Weedon who transfers the mortgage 18 October 1718.

c) Part B transferred by Thomas Bradley dec’d to William Ball (a messuage part of property 20) 9 October 1738. Occupied by Jonathan Chapman.

d) Part B transferred by William Ball dec’d tailor to his widow Amy Ball 1 April 1742. Occupied by Thomas Dagger.

e) Part A transferred by James Gardiner & Martha Gardiner nee Hunt to Joseph & Sarah Chitch 23 August 1754 (court record missing), then on their deaths to Robert Chitch who transferred to Cornelius Norton 31 August 1761.

f) Part B transferred by Amy Ball dec’d to her nephews Joseph Kemp & Guillam Kemp 15 October 1757. Occupied by Thomas Ashby.

g) Part B transferred by Joseph Kemp & Guillam Kemp to Thomas Ashby 30 September 1760.

h) Transfer of part A by Cornelius Norton dec’d to his son Cornelius Norton 16 October 1775.

i) Part B transferred by Thomas Ashby dec’d to William Savage 19 May 1779.

j) Part A transferred by Cornelius Norton dec’d to his son Thomas Norton of Great Marlow surgeon 11 April 1791.

k) Part A transferred by Thomas Norton to John Jones 15 October 1792. Occupied by Nathaniel Hunt.

l) Part B transferred by William Savage dec’d to his grandson William Lovell 28 November 1818.

m) Part A transferred by John Jones to William Dennis & Anne Jones 11 April 1821. Occupied by Thomas Shepherd.

n) Part B transferred by William Lovell to John Jones 12 November 1823.

o) Part A transferred by Anne Jones dec’d to her son John Jones 30 July 1841.

p) Whole described in tithe award of 1842 as “garden, malthouse & tenement, 2 tenements & yards, island, meadow & piece in Oldfield Common”. Parcels 47, 48, 49, 579 & 676. Owner & occupier John Jones. (Parcels 47, 48 & 579 comprise 1-13 High St. Parcel 49 part of Property 20, & Parcel 676 the land in Oldfield).

q) John Jones died 11 January 1887. 1-13 High St & land in Oldfield subject to a mortgage dated 14 July 1886 to John Staniford of Uxbridge butcher. John Staniford admitted on default of mortgagor 10 June 1891.

r) Transfer of 1-13 High St by John Staniford to Stephen Beeson farmer 30 September 1891.

s) 1-13 High Street enfranchised by Stephen Beeson 9 October 1891.

t) Part of Property 20 transferred by John Jones dec’d to Frederick Jones 10 June 1891.

u) Part of Property 20 enfranchised by Frederick Jones 9 October 1891.

v) Land in Oldfield surrendered to the Lord of The Manor absolutely by John Staniford 29 September 1891.

 

10.  Part of Buckingham Parade, Market Place, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9EH      

a) Transferred by James Kerby to Mary Jenkince 27 September 1642. Lately occupied by Annanyas Browne.

b) Transferred by Nicholas Genkence to Robert Dell 19 October 1647.

c) Transferred by Robert Dell to Nicholas Jenkins 3 October 1660.

d) Transferred by Nicholas Jenkins dec’d to his son Eliezer Jenkins aged about 16 who was represented by George Craft 7 October 1663.

e) Transferred by Eliezer Jenkins to Joseph Tredway baker (cottage or tenement, barn & outhouses) 1 October 1678.

f) Tranferred by Joseph Tredway to William Dell 18 October 1718. Occupied by Mary Smith & Elizabeth Crayford widows.

g) Transferred by William Dell dec’d to Henry Dell tailor 13 October 1740.  Occupied by Henry Monk.

h) Transferred by Henry Dell to Anne Burkett and her son William Burkett 16 October 1762. Occupier formerly William Fenix now Thomas Carter.

i) Transferred by Anne Burkett who survived her son to Richard Dennett 19 May 1779. Occupied by Thomas Spicer.

j) Transferred by Richard Dennett to George Woodward 11 April 1791.

k) Transferred by George Woodward dec’d to his widow Sarah Woodward and then by her to Robert Lively 14 September 1795, baker of Uxbridge.

l) Transferred by Robert Lively to Joseph Leivers 9 November 1807. Occupied by Joseph Leivers.

m) Transferred by Joseph Leivers dec’d to his widow Martha Leivers formerly occupied by Mary Smith & Elizabeth Crayford widows 10 October 1809.

n) Transferred by Martha Gillibrand dec’d (formerly Martha Lievers) to William Franklyn White 30 July 1841. Occupied by Luke Coleman.

o) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “house & garden”. Parcel 59, owned & occupied by James Coles.

p) Transferred by William Franklin White to James Coles 29 April 1844.

q) Transferred by James Coles dec’d to Margaret Summers Jones on trust 1 May 1848.

r) Transferred by Margaret Summers Jones dec’d to Margaret Stevens 5 June 1877.

s) Transferred by Margaret Stevens dec’d to her son & daughter Charles William Stevens & Jessie Mary Stevens as her executors 16 April 1903.

t) Enfranchised by Charles William Stevens & Jessie Mary Stevens 18 April 1903.

 

11.  Cottage at Gravel Hill Chalfont St Peter (part of open land to the south of Tatchley House, 2 Rickmansworth Lane, SL9 0HG. Property 52)

a) Messuage transferred by Anne Hatch dec’d to John Hatch the younger 18 October 1773. Occupied formerly by Thomas Quaintry.

b) Transferred by John Hatch dec’d to his son John Hatch 25 November 1812. Occupier Thomas Quaintry.

c) Transferred by John Hatch dec’d to his son John Hatch 11 April 1821.

d) Transferred by John Hatch dec’d to his wife Sarah Hatch 5 November 1831.

e) Transferred by Sarah Hatch dec’d to Francis Hatch who sold to Job Green of Austenwood farmer 30 July 1841.

f) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 1135 “tenement & garden” occupied by William Wooster.

g) Transferred by Job Green dec’d to his son Job Green 28 April 1851. Occupied by William Worcester.

h) Transferred by Job Green dec’d to his son John Green of High Wycombe coachman 15 June 1877.

i) Transferred by John Green to his mother Mary Anne Green 30 June 1877. Occupied by William Hancox.

j) Transferred by Mary Anne Green dec’d to John Green of Austenwood cowkeeper 2 August 1893. Occupier John Worrall.

k) Enfranchised by John Green 23 March 1909. Occupied by John Clare.

 

12.  Part of The Three Oaks ( formerley The Three Pigeons), Austenwood Lane, Gerrards Cross SL9 8NL

a) Enclosed by Thomas Hunt 30 July 1841.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “cottage & garden” parcel 710. Occupier & owner Thomas Hunt.

c) Enfranchised by Thomas Hunt 23 November 1880.

 

13.  Part of Maltmans Green School, Maltmans Lane, Gerrards Cross SL9 8RR

a) Enclosed by Thomas Peake of Maltmans Green House 28 November 1818. Strip of land between the front of the House & Maltmans Lane 86 yards long; at the west end 22 yards wide; at the east end 16 yards wide & at the narrowest part adjoining “the barn” 5 yards wide.

b) Transferred by Thomas Peake dec’d to his wife Eleanor Peake 30 July 1841.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as part of parcel 693 “house orchard yard & pond”. Owner & occupier Eleanor Peake.

d) Transferred by Eleanor Peake to her son Hugh Budgen Peake who transferred it to Frederick Charsley 23 May 1855.

e) Transferred by Frederick Charsley to John Marmaduke Teesdale (steward of the Manor) 20 October 1858

f) Transferred by John Marmaduke Teesdale to Algernon H Drummond 30 June 1884

g) Enfranchised by Algernon Heneage Drummond 8 September 1886.

 

14.  1-4 Broom Cottages 1-5, & Heath Cottage 6 West Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7QN

a) Enclosed by Luke Coleman 30 July 1841. Mortgaged by him on 29 April 1844. This states that he had lately erected 3 messuages thereon occupied by Thomas Chambers, Thomas Burnham & one unoccupied.

b) Transferred by Luke Coleman dec’d to his executor George Montague 18 April 1866.

c) Transferred by George Montague to James Smith 19 May 1869. Occupied by James Langstone “& others”.

d) Enfranchised by James Smith with Property 49, 20 December 1889.

 

15.  Plumtree Cottage, Tower Cottage, Dene Cottage, Woodbank Cottages & Greenside View, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7RH

a) Enclosed by Moses George 30 July 1841.

b) Transferred by Moses George dec’d to his trustees William Garner & Samuel George 25 June 1879. 3 messuages thereon occupied by Thomas Goodhall, George Smith & Widow George.

c) Enfranchised by William Garner & Samuel George 5 November 1879. Occupiers Thomas Goodall, George Smith & Widow George.

 

16.  Gold Hill House, Gold Hill West, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9HH

a) Enclosed by Daniel Northcroft 30 April 1827.

b) Transferred by Daniel Northcroft dec’d to his son William Northcroft who sold to David Ives schoolmaster 13 April 1842.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “house, outbuildings & garden” parcel 613. Owner & occupier David Ives

d) Transferred by David Ives Baptist minister to John Mollett 28 April 1851.

e) Transferred by John Mollett to his daughter Jane Mollett 5 June 1867.

f) Enfranchised by Jane Mollett 27 March 1869.

 

17.  Part of The Memorial  Centre & 7-12 East Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7AD (adjoining bit is Property 50).  

a) Enclosed by John Chantry 13 April 1842. Strip of land between East Common Road and the original property.

b) Transferred by John Chantry to Josiah Cato 16 August 1852.

c) Transferred by Josiah Cato dec’d to his son Thomas Ensor Cato 13 January 1871 who sold it to Francis Stewart on the same day.

d) Enfranchised by Francis Stewart 18 August 1871 with Property 50.

 

18.  Part of Raylands Mead, Bull Lane, Gerrards Cross SL9 8SJ

a) Enclosed by Stephen Cannon 23 February 1835. Strip of land at the junction of Bull Lane, Bulstrode Way & The Oxford Road.

b) Transferred by Stephen Cannon dec’d  to Louis Michael Simon & John Harbush  Davidge 24 July 1843.

c) Transferred by Lewis Michael Simon & Edward Allcard to Fitzhardinge Oldaker 14 August 1877. Confirmed 8 June 1883.

d) Enfranchised by Fitzhardinge Oldaker 9 April 1884.

 

19.  26, High Street, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QA

a) Transferred by James King and Constance King nee Hunt to John Kingston 25 September 1786. Occupied formerly by William Russell & now Samuel & Elizabeth Springall.

b) Transferred by John Kingston to William Nash 27 April 1803. Occupied by William Nash.

c) Transferred by William Nash to Thomas Johnson 25 November 1812. Occupied by William Nash.

d) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “tenements & yards”. Parcel 52. Occupied by Samuel Kemp & Ann Stone. Owned by James Chipps junior.

e) Transferred by Thomas Johnson to James Chipps 24 July 1843. Occupied by Edward Cole.

f) Transferred by James Chipps to Job King 26 October 1853. Now 2 cottages. Occupied by Widow Butcher & John Bolton.

g) Transferred by Job King dec’d to Nash Downes King, John Batchelor King, Harriet Maria King & Charles King 21 October 1869.

h) Surrender by Nash Downes King, John Batchelor King, Harriet Maria King & Charles King to William Tomblin of 29 October 1869, mentioned 17 October 1894. Occupiers William Tomblin & Widow Harrison. Order for bailiff to seize as Mr Tomblin had not come to be admitted.

i) After three more proclamations William Tomblin came to court and was admitted as the new owner 10 January 1902.

j) Transfer by William Tomlin dec’d (previously called Tomblin in error) road surveyor to Henry James Tomlin 17 February 1920. Occupied by Henry James Tomlin & Mrs East.

k) Enfranchised by Henry James Tomlin 22 April 1920.

 

20.  Two Cottages in Chalfont St Peter Village (14 High Street Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QA part of Property 9).

a) Transfer of  a cottage by Henry Proud the elder to his son John Proud glazier 18 October 1707. Occupied by John Proud.

 b) Transferred by John Proud to Henry Proud 15 October 1711. Occupier John Proud.

c) Transferred by Henry Proud to his son Anthony Proud tailor 20 October 1722. Occupier James Burrows.

d) Transferred as 3 cottages by Anthony Proud dec’d to Martin & Henrietta Sopp 9 October 1738. Occupied by James Burrows, Anthony Proud & George Holder.

e) Transfer of one cottage by Martin & Henrietta Sop to Richard Cooper 6 October 1755. Occupied by Richard Barlow. Confirmed 16 October 1762.

f) Transfer of one cottage by Richard Cooper dec’d to his daughter Sarah Cooper 16 October 1771.

g) Transferred as 2 cottages by Sarah Edwards nee Cooper dec’d to her son Richard Edwards 30 April 1838. Formerly occupied by James Burrows, then James Barton & now Daniel Jordan & Thomas Walden.

h) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “two tenements & yard” parcel 50 occupied & owned by Richard Edwards.

i) Transferred by Richard Edwards hay dealer to George Montague baker 24 July 1843. Occupied by Edward Cole & William Hill.

j) Transferred by George Montague dec’d to Mary Anne Montague 10 March 1884. Occupied by William Hill & Jesse Craft.

k) Transferred by Mary Anne Montague dec’d to her executors Susannah Matthews & Wallace Long Matthews 2 April 1896. Occupiers William Hill & Jesse Craft.

l) Transferred by Wallace Long Matthews (Susannah Matthews having died) to James Swift junior & John Kemp Montague Laughton as trustees of Mary Anne Montague dec’d  9 Ocober 1906. Occupied by Hyde & Ford.

m) Enfranchised by The Law of Property Act 1922 on 1 January 1926.

n) Compensation Agreement 9 December 1935. Occupiers Tyler and Bovingdon.

 

21.  Vacant land between St Huberts Cottages & The Apple Tree East Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7AQ

a) Grant of wasteland with a cottage thereon to Edward Batty 24 October 1769. Occupier Thomas Batty.

b) Transferred by Edward Batty dec’d to his daughter Anne Batty 23 June 1814.

c) Transferred by Anne Batty dec’d to Nathaniel Edwards 28 November 1818.

d) Transferred by Nathaniel & Susan Edwards of Baldwins Gardens Leather Lane Holborn mattress maker to Thomas Edwards the youngest son of Richard & Sarah Edwards of Chalfont St Peter 4 September 1819. Formerly occupied by Edward Batty dec’d & now by Richard & Sarah Edwards. Small additional bit enclosed by Thomas Edwards 30 April 1827.  

e) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “two tenements outhouses & garden”. Parcel 790. Owned by James Edwards. Occupied by Alan Burrell & Thomas Farmer.

f) Transferred by Thomas Edwards dec’d to his son James Edwards 24 July 1843.

g) Transferred by James Edwards higgler to Eliza Haines 2 cottages, formerly one, 9 November 1852. Occupied by George Bowler & [blank] Stone. 

h) Transferred by Eliza Haines dec’d to Hannah Filkins & John Biggs 30 June 1875. Occupied by Eliza Haines & George Sutton.

i) Transferred by Hannah Filkins & John Biggs to John Henry Saunders photographer of Uxbridge 26 November 1875. Occupied by John Biggs & George Saunders.

j) Enfranchised by John Henry Saunders 29 March 1879. Occupied by John Biggs & George Saunders.

 

22.  St Huberts Cottages 30-38 East Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7AQ     

a) Enclosed by Robert Goode son of Gervase Good of Chalfont St Peter, land with a cottage “built a long time before this court” at Chalfont Heath abutting a place called Drews Deanecorner, on condition that it is not to be used as an alehouse 14 January 1673.

b) Transferred by Robert Goode to Thomas Browne 10 October 1687.

c) Transferred by Thomas Browne to his son Thomas Browne 12 October 1690. Now two cottages occupied by Thomas Browne & John Evered.

d) Transferred by Thomas Browne to Henry Browne the younger cordwainer 14 October 1704. Occupied by Thomas Alexander & Widow Smewen.

e) Transferred by Henry Browne to James Gaylor of Denham 12 October 1726. Now three cottages occupied by William Chitch, Thomas Adams & Henry Browne.

f) Transferred by James Gaylor dec’d to his daughter Mary Gaylor 13 October 1740. Occupied by John Ebbs, George Lucas & Henry Redding.

g) Transferred by Henry Alden to Richard Beddall 3 messuages 18 October 1773. Occupied by Richard Dodd, Joseph Kebble & John Ebbs.

h) Transferred by Richard Beddall dec’d to his nephew William Beddall 17 October 1804. Occupied by Richard Dodd, Joseph Kebble & John Ebbs.

i) Transferred by William Beddall dec’d to his wife Anne Beddall, daughter Anne Violet Biggs & Richard Biggs 28 November 1818.

j) Waste land adjoining enclosed by Anne Beddall 30 April 1827.

k) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcels 787, 788 & 789 each “cottage & garden”. Occupiers Charles Warwick, John Nash & Mark Carter. Owner Anne Beddall.

l) Part formerly waste land transferred by Anne Beddall dec’d to her daughter Anne Violet Biggs 24 July 1843.

m) Whole transferred by Anne Beddall dec’d & Anne Violet Biggs dec’d to Henry Biggs, son of Anne Violet Biggs, 25 February 1865.

n) Transferred by Henry Biggs to Mayne Reid 25 February 1865.

o) Mayne Reid went bankrupt on 5 November 1866. The property was transferred to his mortgagee Miss Martha Jane Duly who enfranchised 18 September 1869. “The said tenements were taken down by Mayne Reid and on the site whereof he commenced erecting certain other tenements not yet completed”.

 

23.  Aditors or Auditors Gold Hill East (The Dower House, Gold Hill East, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9DL).

a) Transfer of one tenement & 3 crofts by Roger Hawkin to Simon Auditor 15 May 1454.

b) Transfer of one messuage with 3 crofts & 1 pightle by Simon Auditor dec’d to his widow Joan Auditor & son Simon Auditor 3 May 1458.

c) Transfer of above by Thomas & Dionisia Auditor dec’d to their son Thomas 23 January 1499.

d) Order that Richard Butterfield repairs his tenement called Auditurs 30 April 1565.

e) Robert Butterfield of Auditors has died. His lands had been forfeited to the lord of the manor. 18 December 1604.

f) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Henry Butterfield to his son Robert Butterfield 18 October 1615.

g) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Henry Butterfield to John Russell the younger 22 October 1650.

h) Transfer of messuage called Auditors  & 12 acres of land by John Russell the elder to his son John Russell 3 October 1702.

i) Transfer of Auditors by John Russell dec’d to his heir Russell Farmer 9 October 1738.

j) Transfer of Auditors by Russell Farmer to Anthony Blagrave & Richard Allen 29 October 1748 (see next court).

k) Transfer of Auditors by Anthony Blagrave & Richard Allen to William Crowther  of Merton College Oxford, 16 October 1762.

l) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by William Croucher dec’d to his widow Elizabeth Croucher 17 October 1776. Occupied formerly by John Egelston, then Thomas Stow & now John Wade.

m) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Elizabeth Croucher dec’d to her granddaughter Elizabeth Croucher 11 April 1791. Occupied by John Wade.

n) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Elizabeth Croucher to Terence O'Loghlin 11 April 1821.

o) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as Parcels 585 “ Garden, House, yards & shrubbery”, 586 “Kitchen garden”, 587 “Park End/arable” & Part 582 “Grange Park/grass”. Owned & occupied by Charlotte O'Loghlin.

p) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Terence O'Loghlin dec’d to his widow Charlotte O'Loghlin 14 October 1844.

q) Transfer of Auditors & 12 acres by Charlotte O'Loghlin dec’d to Thomas Allen 17 July 1861.

r) Enfranchised by Thomas Newland Allen 22 November 1881.

 

24.  The Rose & Crown PH & three Cottages on the west side of High Street Chalfont St Peter (demolished in 1963 for the bypass and the roundabout near The Greyhound PH).

a) Transfer of one cottage in Chalfont between the royal highway on the east side & the water of the Misbourne on the west by John Molder to himself & his wife Joan Molder 15 July 1455.

b) Transfer of above by Joan Molder (John having died) to Robert & Joan Marchaunt 12 April 1459.

c) Transfer of above by Robert & Joan Marckaunt to Thomas Kyng 20 October 1461. The above could relate to either Properties 24, 55 or 61.

d) Transfer of a messuage formerly occupied by John Bennett dec’d & now George Green & 3 tenements formerly occupied by Robert Cook, John Ingram & Robert Weatherley & now Michael Bovington, Susannah Kibble & William Attwood by Henry Bennett dec’d as mortgagee of Timothy Tregoe, barber & peruke maker of Marlow, to George Green 27 April 1778.

e) Transfer of above as occupied above by George Green to Daniel Norton 11 April 1791.

f) Transfer of above by Daniel Norton dec’d to his widow Anna Maria Norton 25 November 1799.

g) Transfer of above by Anna Maria Norton dec’d to her eldest son Daniel Scott Norton 17 October 1804. Messuage occupied by Thomas Langstone Tenements by Michael Bovington, Susannah Keble & William Attwood.

h) Transfer of the messuage a PH known as The Rose & Crown formerly occupied by Thomas Langstone, then Thomas Langstone his nephew, & then Sarah Langstone Widow & now Thomas Green & the 3 tenements occupied by Widow Pusey & Thomas Hunt by Daniel Scott Norton of Uxbridge brewer to John & William Weller Amersham brewers 12 November 1823.

i) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 6 “ Rose & Crown Inn yard etc”, occupied by William Maddiman (unable to identify the cottages).

j) Transfer of above by William Weller dec’d to his sons William & Edward Weller brewers of Amersham 14 October 1844, tenements formerly occupied by [blank] Attwood, Thomas Lovell & Widow Johnson & now Michael Barrington, Susannah Kibble & William Attwood. William bought out Edward 24 June 1850.

k) Transfer of above by William Weller dec’d to his son William Weller & Benjamin Arthur Brickwell on trust 17 July 1861 with property 25A.

l) Enfranchised 28 March 1868 by the above with Property 25A.

 

25.  Pieces of land in Common Downs, Oldfield & Schoulbury Common Fields (Common Downs lies to the north of Gold Hill North & east of Grove Lane, Oldfield lies between Gold Hill West & Layters Green Lane & Schoulbury lies between Grove Lane & Layters Green Lane, Chalfont St Peter).

a) Transfer by John Chardon to John Tyler the younger 1 messuage, 3 crofts, 9 perches in Le Doune, 3 perches in Le Nastfeld, & 3 perches in Le Doune held subject to payment of twenty-one & a half pence equally on Lady Day & Michaelmas & twelve & a half pence at Christmas & a hen on St Thomas’s day. He will reap the lord’s corn 2 days, encircle the lord’s corn 1 day, mow the lord’s meadow 1 day, make hay for the lord 1 day, plough the lord’s land 2 days, harrow for 1 day, make hedges viz 5 “soules” & the will have breakfast from the lord, 11 January 1401.

b) Transfer of above by John Tyler the younger dec’d to his widow Alice Tyler 16 June 1411.

c) John Otewell acknowledges that he holds the above formerly of John Tyler as of the right of his wife Alice 27 December 1414.

d) Transfer by Thomas & Joan Hande to William Gardener of Beaconsfield 1 toft formerly of John Tyler, 3 crofts of land, 9 perches in Le Downe, 3 pieces in Nastdell & 3 pieces in Scolesbury 2 March 1450.

e) Transfer by Benjamin & Jane Trumper to Arthur Bennett 22 October 1650. Occupied by Benjamin Trumper & Edward Croft.

f) Transfer of a cottage or tenement next to Goldhill Common, 5 acres in Oldfield, by Arthur Bennett to his son John Bennett 6 October 1686 & Schoulbury Pightle Oldfield & Common Downs.

g) Transfer of 2 tenements at Gold Hill, 1 acre & 4 acres in Common Downs, 1.5 acres & 4 acres in Oldfield & Schoulbury Pightle (0.5 acre) & 1 acre in Schoulbury by John Bennett dec’d to his son John Bennett 20 October 1705.

h) Transfer of above by John Bennett dec’d to his son John Bennett 20 October 1722.

i) Transfer of the above by Daniel & Anne Pope dec’d to their son Luke Pope 16 October 1771. Occupied by George Craft. Daniel's father Luke had transferred it to Daniel & Anne on 13 October 1740.  

j) Transfer of above by Luke Pope to George Woodward 19 May 1779. Occupier George Craft.

k) Transfer of above by George Woodward’d to Joseph Lee 15 October 1792.

l) Transfer of above by Joseph Lee to Henry Goodridge 25 November 1799.

m) Transfer of above by Henry Goodridge dec’d to his son John Goodridge 11 April 1821.

n) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “arable” (parcels 631, 633, 635, 637, 639, 651, 658, 660, 668, 669, 671, 674 & 677). Schoulbury Pightle 659 is grass. Occupier John Goodridge.

o) Transfer of above by John Goodridge dec’d to his widow Elizabeth Goodridge 14 October 1844.

p) Transfer of 1.5 acres & 5 acres in Oldfield by Elizabeth Goodridge to William Stafford the younger 9 April 1845. He died about 1869 without heirs & the land was forfeited to the Lord of Manor on 20 July 1881.

q) Transfer of land at Schoulbury (not Schoulbury Pightle) by Elizabeth Goodridge to James Chipps 1 May 1848.

r) Tranfer of land at Common Downs by Elizabeth Goodridge to James Rowles 1 May 1848. James Rowles enfranchised this on 19 August 1890.

s) Transfer of Schoulbury Pightle by Elizabeth Goodridge to Thomas Taylor 26 October 1853. (See Property 25A for continuation of this title).

t) Transfer of Schoulbury land by James Chipps to his daughter Anne Chipps 7 December 1859.

u) Enfranchised by Anne Chipps 13 November 1908.

 

25A.  Schoulbury Pightle (Kenways, Conifer Cottage, The Hollies & Norton House,  Grove Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9LB).

a) Transferred by Thomas Taylor to William Weller 6 May 1857.

b) Transferred by William Weller dec’d to his son William Weller & Benjamin Brickwell on trust 17 July 1861. Enfranchised by the above with property 24, 28 March 1868.

 

26.  Cottage at Gravel Hill (Part of open land to the south of Tatchley House, 2 Rickmansworth Lane SL9 0HG, Property 52).

a) Transfer by William Edwards dec’d to his son Joseph Edwards 25 September 1786.

b) Transfer by Joseph Edwards dec’d to his son Joseph Edwards 12 November 1823.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 130 “tenement & garden” owned and occupied by Joseph Edwards.

d) Transfer by Joseph Edwards dec’d to James Edwards farmer 9 April 1845.

e) Transfer by James Edwards to George Colston of Gerrards Cross yeoman 19 October 1849.

f) Transfer by George Colston dec’d to his niece Emma Maria Colston 28 July 1869.

g) Transfer by Emma Maria Colston to James Edwards 20 July 1881. Occupied by Alfred Ford.

h) Transfer by James Edwards dec’d to his trustees Mrs Eliza Edwards, James Edwards & John Henry Witham 10 June 1885. Occupier Alfred Lord.

i) Transfer by James Edwards as sole surviving trustee of James Edwards dec’d to Ernest Richard Edwards the grandson of James Edwards dec’d 4 December 1907. Late occupied by Alfred Ford. Property formerly known as “Colstons”.

j) Enfranchised by Ernest Richard Edwards 5 December 1907.

 

27.  Rose Cottage 20, High Trees 21, Magpies 22, Little Springfield 23, Silverwood 24, & Tile House 25, East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AF.

a) Part enclosed by James Coles 28 November 1818, upon which he built a row of 4 cottages on the site of 23, 24 & 25 East Common. The rest enclosed by James Coles 24 May 1826, site of 20, 21 & 22 East Common & a further bit by him on 30 April 1827.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as owned by James Coles with the following parcel numbers and occupiers: 782 “ house, outbuildings yard & garden empty”;  783 “house, outbuildings yard & garden” Elizabeth Parrott; 784 “ tenement & yard” John Walden; 1178 “ tenement & yard” Thomas Munday; 1179 “ tenement & yard empty”;  & 1180 “ tenement & yard” Thomas Lane.

c) Transfer of whole by James Coles dec’d to Margaret Summers Jones 1 May 1848. 4 cottages occupied by James Wood, George Bowler, [blank] Warwick & [blank] Walden.

d) 20, 21 & 22 (known as The Oak Cottage) transferred by Margaret Summers Jones dec’d to Margaret Stevens 5 June 1877. Occupied by David Sinclair & Widow Parrott as 2 houses.

e) The 4 cottages transferred by Margaret Summers Jones dec’d to Mary Pearson 9 June 1877. Occupied by James Wood, George Bowler, [blank] Munday & Daniel Walkden.

f) 20, 21 & 22 (now known as Oak Cottage & Rose Cottage) transferred by Margaret Stevens to Frank Grainge 2 April 1896. Former unoccupied, latter occupied by Alfred Bartlett.

g) Transfer of the 4 cottages by Mary Pearson dec’d to Mrs Margaret Stevens and Mrs Sarah Maria Tingle 14 Decamber 1899. Occupied  by James Wood, George Bowler, [blank] Munday and James Walkden.

h) Enfranchisement of the 4 cottages by Mrs Margaret Stevens and Mrs Sarah Maria Tingle 12 April 1900.

i) Enfranchisement of 20, 21 & 22 (Oak Cottage & Rose Cottage) by Frank Grainge 19 December 1904.

 

28.  Part of Burnham House, Market Place, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9EQ (the other larger part is Property 5 to the west of this property).

a) Transfer by John Newman to John Russell 10 October 1687. Occupied by Henry Dell.

b) Transfer by John Russell dec’d to Thomas Say 9 October 1738. (Messuage with smiths shop). Occupied by John Dixon blacksmith.

c) Transfer by Thomas Say to John Cawdrey 1 July 1751. Occupied by Richard Newman blacksmith.

d) Transfer by John Cawdrey dec’d to his son William Cawdrey carpenter 18 October 1784. Occupied by Joseph Cawdrey carpenter.

e) Transfer by William Cawdrey to Joseph Cawdrey 11 April 1791. A carpenter’s shop formerly a smith’s shop occupied by Joseph Cawdrey.

f) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 57 “house workshop & garden” owned & occupied  by William Cawdrey.

g) Transfer by Joseph Cawdrey (who was admitted from Joseph Cawdrey 9 January 1807 to William Cawdrey 1 May 1848. Occupied by William Cawdrey.

h) Transfer by William Cawdrey to Joseph Gilbert gentleman 7 June 1871.

i) Transfer by Joseph Gilbert dec’d to his executor Joseph Gilbert 25 June 1879.

j) Enfranchised by Joseph Gilbert 21 October 1889.

 

29.  House & yard at the corner of Market Place (south side) & High Street, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9EH. Demolished for road widening.

a) Transfer by Edmund Briant to Thomas & Ursula Dagger 11 October 1709. Occupier Edmund Briant.  Edmund Briant acquired it on 14 October 1708 from Thomas Monke then occupied by Thomas Clarke.  

b) Charge by Thomas & Ursula Dagger to James Garrett 19 October 1711. Occupier Thomas Dagger tailor.

c) Transfer by Thomas & Ursula Dagger to James Garrett 4 October 1714.

d) Transfer by James Garrett to his daughter Frances Garrett 23 October 1758. Occupied by Joseph Monk.

e) Transfer by Frances Chitch (nee Garrett) dec’d to her nephew James Costin 19 October 1789.

f) Transfer by James Costin to Charlotte Babb 11 April 1791. Occupied by John Walker.

g) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 56 “ house & yard”, owned by Charlotte Babb, occupied by Eliza Morrison.

h) Transfer by Charlotte Babb dec’d to Eliza Clark Baynham Morrison 1 May 1848.

i) Transfer by E C B Morrison dec’d to Jane Cecilia Hart & others as trustees 23 May 1877. Occupied by E C B Morrison.

j) Transfer by above trustees to Thomas Gurnall Hart 23 May 1877.

k) Transfer by Jane Cecilia Hart as executrix of Thomas Gurnall Hart dec’d to James Bates, agreement dated 27 April 1891, admission 10 June 1891. Occupier Sarah Kemp. (She ran a tobacconists & sweet shop – see P16 of Audrey Wheelband’s book “Chalfont St Peter a lost village”).

l) Enfranchised by The Law of Property Act 1922 on 1 January 1926.

m) Assent as a freehold by James Bates dec’d to Ethel Binder 15 June 1928.

n) Compensation Agreement 26 May 1932. Occupier Alfred Henry Harriss.

 

30.  Berkeley Cottage, 14 East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AF

a) Enclosed by Thomas Oldacre of Gerrards Cross huntsman 28 November 1818.

b) Transferred by Thomas Oldacre dec’d to his widow Mary Amelia Oldaker who transferred it to Thomas Johnson 24 November 1835.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 780 “ house, outbuildings, yard & garden”, owned by Thomas Johnson, occupied by John Taylor.

d) Transferred by Thomas Johnson to George William Deacon 19 October 1849. Occupied by Dr Thomas Busby.

e) Transferred by George William Deacon to George Healy 15 July 1858. Occupied by G W Deacon.

f) Transferred by George Healy dec’d to his widow Adelaide Sarah Healy 20 July 1881. Then called Belgrave Holme.

g) Enfranchised by Adelaide Sarah Healy 26 October 1907. Then called Belgrave Holme. Confirmation that this included a strip of land between the property and Mill Lane dated 16 November 1907 at the request of Francis Charles Woodbridge as purchaser of the property.

 

31.  Garden ground on south side of Shire Lane adjoining Phillipshill Wood

a) Enclosed by Joseph & Anne Perkins 24 May 1826.

b) I cannot find this property in the tithe award of 1842.

c) Transfer by Joseph & Anne Perkins to William Freeman 28 April 1851.

d) Transfer by William Freeman to William Rush 31 March 1869.

e) Enfranchised by William Rush 29 April 1869.

 

32.  1-4 Orchard House, San Remo, Birkhill & 2 semi-detached cottages, Gold Hill West, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9HH.

a) Enclosed by John Mollett 7 December 1859.

b) Transferred by John Mollett to his daughter Jane Mollett with Property 16 on 5 June 1867.

c) Enfranchised by Jane Mollett with Property 16 on 27 March 1869.

 

33.  1-7, Marsham Lodge, Marsham Lane, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AB

a) Enclosed by George Spencer Smith 26 May 1852.

b) Transferred by George Spencer Smith dec’d to George Smith 24 March 1874.

c) Enfranchised by George Smith 4 February 1875.

 

34.  Timberhall or Copthall, Copthall Lane (formerly known as Cattshill Lane), Chalfont St Peter (3-7 Copthall Lane SL9 0BX, 9-29 Copthall Lane SL9 0BY, 3‑15 Copthall Corner SL9 0BZ, & 1, 2 & 3 White House Close SL9 0DA).

a) Transfer by William Whyte son of Richard Whyte to William Whyte son of Thomas Whyte 15 May 1499.

b) Richard King acknowledges that he holds Tymberall at the will of the lord 3 March 1501. He transferred it to himself & his wife Margaret in 1518/19.

c) Transfer of Tymber Hall by John Compton dec’d to his son Jerome Compton 10 June 1557.

d) Presented that Ellen Compton widow of Jerome Compton holds Tymberhall for their daughter Elizabeth Compton during her minority 21 April 1560.

e) Transfer by William Browne to Dorothy & Thomas Jones wife & son of Hugh Jones, vicar of Chalfont St Peter, 12 June 1598.

f) Hugh & Dorothy Jones surrender the property to the Lord of the Manor 15 April 1607.

g) Transfer by Edward Salter to Elizabeth Maye of Burnham spinster 15 October 1658. Occupier Edward Ives.

h) Transfer by John Russell dec’d to his twin sisters Mary & Martha Russell aged  about 9 by their father & guardian William Russell 4 October 1675. Occupier Edward Ives.

i) Transfer by Russell Farmer to his son Russell Farmer distiller of Uxbridge 9 October 1738. Occupier Henry Skidmer.

j) Transfer by John Bradley of Covent Garden distiller to Williams Crowcher 16 October 1762. Occupied formerly by Henry Skidmore & now his widow.

k) Transfer by Williams Croucher dec’d to his widow Elizabeth Crowcher 17 October 1776. Occupier Thomas Bow.

l) Transfer by Elizabeth Crowcher dec’d to her granddaughter Elizabeth Crowcher 11 April 1791. Occupier John Wade.

m) Transfer by Elizabeth Crowcher to Henry & Elizabeth Goodridge 10 October 1809. Occupier Henry Goodridge.

n) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as owned & occupied by Henry Goodridge  parcel 141 “meadow”, 155 “meadow” & 156 “cottage, garden, outbuildings & orchard”.

o) Transfer by Henry Goodridge dec’d to his grandson Samuel Walter Goodridge 6 May 1857. Heriot waived because of his poverty.

p) Transfer by Samuel Walter Goodridge to Thomas Salter (out of court on 6 May 1857) without Thomas Salter being admitted. Death of Thomas Salter presented 12 June 1889.

q) Transfer by Thomas Salter dec’d on sale to George Augustus Vernon, Edmund Teesdale & George Charsley as trustees for the Lord of the Manor 18 September 1890, and merged with the freehold which was sold by them on 1 October 1890.

 

35.  Wood Bank 28 & Gerrards Cross Cottage 29, East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AF

a) Enclosed by William Lane 11 April 1821. 3 poles extra enclosed by W Lane 30 April 1827.

b) Transfer by William Lane to John Anthony Jackson ironmonger of Beaconsfield 5 November 1831. One cottage occupied by Thomas Claydon.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 786 “empty cottage & garden” owned by John Anthony Jackson.

d) Third proclamation on 14 October 1844 following death of John Anthony Jackson.

e) Grant by Lady of the Manor to William Cawdrey builder 26 October 1853.

f) Transfer by William Cawdrey to James Wood 7 December 1859 with 2 cottages recently erected by James Wood.

g) Transfer by James Wood dec’d to his widow Jane Wood 23 May 1877.

h) Transfer by Jane Wood to William Davis 3 October 1879.

i) Enfranchised by William Davis 27 May 1883.

 

36.  One acre of land at Goldhill Common next to and now part of The Dower House, Gold Hill East, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9DL

a) Enclosed by Thomas Wright of The Grange 23 May 1855.

b) Enfranchised by Thomas Wright 24 October 1866. The mines & minerals are excepted to the Lord of the Manor.

 

37.  Part of Tubbs Farm Rickmansworth Lane. (Now 1 & 2 Tubbs Cottages, Rickmansworth Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 ORG & adjoining land). (The other part is freehold property 10).

a) Transfer by John Tubbe to George Danyell 5 November 1454.

b) Presented that Thomas Danyell holds Tobbys at the will of the lord 18 January 1502.

c) Transfer by Edward Danyell to Thomas Spenser of Rickmansworth 25 February 1529.

d) Transfer by Thomas Spenser dec’d to his son Roger Spenser 4 November 1539.

e) Transfer by Roger Spenser dec’d to his brother George Spenser 27 June 1546 & 28 April 1547.

f) Transfer by George Spenser to John Down 18 December 1553.

g) Transfer by John Downes dec’d to his son William Downes 25 April 1569.

h) Transfer by William Downes to his son Thomas Downes 18 December 1604.

i) Transfer by Thomas Downes dec’d to his daughters Mary aged 11, Rebecca aged 9, Anne aged 7 & Anna aged 5 . Their fealty was respited because they are all under age. 12 October 1649.

j) Transfer by Ralph Wetherly to his son Edward Wetherly 23 October 1691.

k) Transfer by Edward Weatherley dec’d to his son Edward Weatherley 13 October 1740.

l) Transfer by Edward Weatherley to William Courtney of Rotherhithe 29 July 1765.

m) Transfer by William Courtney dec’d to his niece Mary Carlton nee Cock wife of Thomas Carlton 16 October 1771. (See transfer of freehold property 10 of the same date).

n) Transfer by Mary Carter late Carlton dec’d to her daughters Mary Anne Heron, Elizabeth Watts & Rebecca Newcomb 13 December 1831.

o) Above confirmed by recovery 28 January 1832.

p) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcels 411 Upper High Field, 412 High Field, 415 Cherry Tree Field, 414 Six Acre Field, 416 Garden, 417 Tubbs Farm House, 418 orchard & 421 Plumsted Pightle. Owner John Heron. Occupier Rice Tyrrell.

q) Transfer to Mary Anne Heron & her husband John 20 May 1856 by above sisters.

r) Transfer on death of above to Richard Bright, John Watts & Alfred Wilson as trustees of the will of John Heron dec’d 10 October 1860.

s) Transfer to George Allen as trustee of the will of John Heron dec’d following the death of the above trustees 10 January 1890.

t) Transfer by George Allen to Lowing Tripp of Tubbs’ Farm 2 October 1893.

u) Enfranchised by Lowing Tripp 21 September 1899.

 

38.  Part of Ninnings Farm, Rickmansworth Lane, Chalfont St Peter adjoining Tubbs Farm. (The same title as property 37 up to transfer letter o).

a) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as part of parcel 410 Wattage Field owned by William Watts.

b) Transfer by Mary Anne Heron, Elizabeth Watts & Rebecca Newcombe to Henry Watts son of Elizabeth & William Watts 20 May 1856.

c) Enfranchised by Henry Watts 4 February 1884.

 

39.  Old Wob and Whitegates, Austenwood Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 8SF

Enclosed as a freehold by Joseph Fowler of Austenwood cowkeeper 10 June 1885.

 

40.  Gerrards Cross Service Station, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7RB

a) Enclosed by the Duke of Somerset 23 June 1814. Messuage & blacksmiths shop recently erected thereon.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcels 804 “Blacksmiths shop & plot”& 805 “cottage & garden”.  Occupied by Thomas Revenseft.

c) Transfer by The Duke of Somerset dec’d to the next Duke of Somerset 6 May 1857.

d) Enfranchised by The Duke of Somerset 28 September 1858.

 

41.  Darwins or Durrants Heath (6 acres), Potkiln Lane, Beaconsfield HP9 2XB (Hussey & Saunders, Beaconsfield Potteries & part of Chiltern Woodland Burial Park).

a) Transfer of Dyrwynsheth by William Grove to his son William Grove 1 December 1552 & 3 November 1559.

b) Grant of Durwyns Heathe to Nicholas Grove late in the tenure of his father William Grove 10 April 1605.

c) Transfer by Hugh Grove dec’d to his son William Grove 6 acres called Durvins Heath 2 October 1655.

d) Mortgage by Thomas Cock & his daughter Sarah Idle widow both of Beaconsfield to Henry Patie 13 October 1694.

e) Transfer by Thomas Cock & Henry Ratie to Joshua Cock of Chalfont St Giles 14 October 1708.

f) Transfer by Joshua Cock dec’d to his son John Cock 20 October 1722.

g) Transfer by John Cock dec’d to his son John Cock 15 October 1757.

h) Transfer by John Cock to Edward & Hannah Rolfe who transferred to William Wellings of Monument Yard London 25 November 1799. Formerly occupied by James Boddy now Edward Rolfe.

i) Transfer by William Wellings sugar ware potter to John Kepp & then to John Grove 18 October 1817. Part taken for a public road.

j) Transfer by John Grove to John Barnard 24 May 1826. Occupied by Daniel Northcroft.

k) Transfer by John Barnard dec’d to his son John Barnard 5 November 1831. Occupied by William Skinner & Thomas Mitchell.

l) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcels 1022 “House garden and orchard”, 1023 the meadow (grass), 1024 Durrants Heath (grass) (all The Beaconsfield Potteries & Hussey & Saunders), & 1038 “Cottage, shed, brick kiln & claypits” (part of Chiltern Woodland Burial Park). Owner John Barnard. OccupierJohn Swallow.

m) Transfer by John Barnard to Robert Swallow 27 January 1859. Occupied by John Thomas, Matthew Swallow, Robert Swallow & James Swallow.

n) Transfer by Robert Swallow to Caledon George du Pre 16 April 1881. Occupier Robert Swallow.

o) Transfer by Caledon George du Pre to Pascoe du Pre Grenfell & Arthur Riversdale Grenfell 24 March 1884. Occupier Martha Saunders.

p) Licence to Pascoe du Pre Grenfell & Arthur Riversdale Grenfell to dig brick earth 10 April 1884.

q) Transfer by Pascoe du Pre Grenfell as surviving trustee to William Baring du Pre 23 April 1896. Occupier Martha Saunders.

r) Licence to William Baring du Pre to dig brick earth, clay, sand and chalk and to manufacture the same into bricks, tiles and pottery 24 April 1896.

s) Enfranchised by William Baring du Pre 3 June 1897.

 

42.  Heatherside, 26 East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AF

a) Part Enclosed by Joseph Tilbury 11 April 1821, 24 poles.

b) Remainder (11 poles) enclosed by Joseph Tilbury 30 April 1827.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 785 “tenements & gardens” owned & occupied by Joseph Tilbury.

d) Transfer by Joseph Tilbury to John James Ratcliffe 12 June 1861: 5 messuages late occupied by Joseph Bowden, Henry Meades, James Wilson, John Nash & Dinah Burrill, then John Tilbury, J Bowden, H Meades, J Wilson, J Nash & D Burrill, & now Joseph Tilbury, William Tilbury, William Winchester, Charles Warwick & James Walding.

e) Mortgage by J J Ratcliffe to Charles Woodbridge, Arthur Charles Greville & Henry James Woodbridge as Hull, Smith & Co bankers of Uxbridge 21 February 1878.

f) Transfer by John James Ratcliffe to Rosine Lettice Stephens of Belgrave Holme Gerrards Cross spinster 19 May 1880. 5 cottages.

g) Transfer by Rosine Lettice Stephens dec’d of The Coppice, Gerrards Cross, to her  brother in law and sister Richard Vause Monckton and Ellen Monckton 12 July 1918. Formerly 5 cottages occupied by Tilbury, Bowler, Guilder, Smith & Warwick & now one messuage known as Heatherside.

h) Transfer by Thomas Gourlay as trustee in bankruptcy of Richard Vause Monckton to Mervyn George Drake 26 November 1921.

i) Enfranchised 1 January 1926 by The Law of Property Act 1922.

j) Compensation Agreement 29 October 1931. Owner & occupier Mervyn George Drake.

 

43.  Grove House 15, The White House 16 & 17, 18 & 19 East Common Gerrards Cross SL9 7AF.

a) Enclosed by Simeon Edwards 24 May 1826.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 781 “house, outbuildings, yard & garden” owned by Simeon Edwards & occupied by Joseph Parker.

c) Transfer by Simeon Edwards to James Skerritt 28 October 1863 subject to a lease to John Henry Witham for 21 years from 25 March 1856.

d) Transfer by James Skerritt dec’d to his widow Mary Delia Skerritt 30 April 1889.

e) Transfer by Mary Delia Skerritt to John Henry Witham 12 June 1889.

f) Enfranchised 7 August 1889 by John Henry Witham. Occupier Thomas William Penny.

 

44.  Little Newlands, Brawlings Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0RE

a) Transfer by William Jeffreys to his son John Jefferys 11 October 1709.

b) Transfer by William Jeffreys to his son William Jeffreys 22 October 1764. Occupied by Edward Jennings.

c) Transfer by Edward Jennings & William Jefferys to William Beddall of Rickmansworth butcher 18 October 1773. Occupied by Elisha Gurney.

d) Transfer by William Beddall dec’d to Anne Beddall, Anne Violet Biggs & Richard Biggs 28 November 1818.

e) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 356 “cottage & garden” owned by Richard Biggs & occupied by William Kitson.

f) Transfer by Henry Biggs (son of Anne Violet Biggs dec’d) to Edward Woolls 3 May 1865. Occupier Edward Jennings.

g) Transfer by Edward Woolls dec’d to his sons Edward Woodruffe Woolls & George Harman Woolls 7 June 1871.

h) Enfranchised 1 November 1872.

 

45.  Mayflower Cottage, Michaelmas Cottage, Eleanor House & Morpeth House,  Gold Hill West, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9HH.

a) Enclosed by Daniel Northcroft builder 25 November 1812.

b) Transfer by Daniel Northcroft to John Kemp 4 December 1828 occupied by The Rev David Jones.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 611 “house & garden” owned by John Kemp. Occupied by Mary Ann Northcroft (who ran a school there).

d) Transfer by John Kemp dec’d to George & Esther Montague (his niece) 18 April 1866. Occupied by John Kemp.

e) Transfer by George Montague dec’d to Miss Jane Mollett 10 March 1884.

f) Transfer by Jane Mollett to Frank James Ryder (builder) 19 May 1900. Original cottage (Mayflower Cottage) now occupied by Charles Brooks (surgeon) together with a double cottage erected thereon (Michaelmas Cottage) occupied by Emily Francis Candy.

g) Enfranchised by Frank James Ryder 26 October 1900. Cottage occupied by Charles Brooks (surgeon).  Double cottage occupied by “the gardener Emily Francis Candy.” Mines & minerals were reserved to the Lord of the Manor but this does not appear on the registered titles.

 

46.  Tree Cottage 7, Ivy Cottage 8, 1-4 Langstone Villas, 9-12, One Carston & Loon Cottage 13 -14, West Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7QN.

a) Enclosed by William Langstone yeoman 25 November 1812.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 820 “cottage & garden” owner & occupier William Langstone.

c) Transfer by William Langstone dec’d to trustees for his widow Anne Langstone for life 5 June 1867.

d) Transfer on death of Anne Langstone to her son Thomas Langstone gardener who sells it to James Langstone dairyman of Gerrards Cross 7 June 1871. Formerly occupied by Anne Langstone & now James Chipps. Property now known as Ivy Cottage.

e) Transfer on sale by James Langstone dec’d to James Langstone cowkeeper of Gerrards Cross 12 June 1889.

f) Enfranchised by James Langstone 10 January 1908. Described as two messuages or tenements formerly occupied by Mrs Wright & William Dancer & now James Langstone & [blank].

g) Presented at the Manor  Court of 13 January 1911 that James Langstone had encroached on Gerrards Cross Common by enclosing a small piece on the frontage to his new houses there. Assessed at an annual rent of 1s.

 

47.  The Apple Tree, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AH

a) Enclosed by Henry Reading bricklayer 15 October 1757 with messuage recently built thereon.

b) Mortgage by Henry Redding  to William Slaughter of Fulmer baker who sells as mortgagee to Richard Hutchins victualler of Fulmer 23 September 1765.

c) Transfer by Richard Hutchins dec’d to his son John Hutchins 11 April 1791.

d) Mortgage by John Hutchins to Samuel Salter who sells as mortgagee to Sarah Hunt 17 March 1809. Late occupied by Widow Nixon & then William Peddle.

e) Transfer by Sarah Hunt dec’d to her niece Anne Shackle wife of Thomas Shackell 4 December 1828. Occupied by Sarah Hunt.

f) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 791 “House, outbuildings, yard & garden”. Owned & occupied by Thomas Shackell.

g) Transfer by Anne Shackell dec’d to her daughter Elizabeth Butlin wife of John Butlin 8 June 1867.

h) Transfer by Elizabeth & John Butlin to their daughter Mary Anne Butlin 21 January 1868. Then described as a beerhouse known as The Fox & Hounds occupied by John Butlin. The surrender was on this date; the admission on 19 May 1869 in her married name of Mary Anne Walding.

i) Admission of Mary Anne Walding to a piece of land formerly part of an old road forming part of the yard and garden of the property 8 October 1896.

j) Order of the High Court permitting Mary Anne Walding to transfer the property without the concurrence of her husband Noah Walding who if living is living apart from her 14 December 1896.

k) Transfer by Mary Anne Walding to Gerard Masterman Heath Weller brewer in trust for William Weller and George Weller 1 December 1897. Described as a beerhouse known as The Fox and Hounds.

l) Enfranchised by Gerard Masterman Heath Weller 3 June 1899.

 

48.  Land in front & to the side of The Bull Hotel, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7PA (to the SE of Property 53).

a) Enclosed by The Duke of Somerset 28 July 1869.

b) Enfranchised 18 September 1869.

 

49.  West Common Lodge & Shire House Office Complex, West Common Close, Gerrards Cross SL9 7QR & small part of Property 14.

a) Enclosed by James Smith 7 June 1871.

b) Enfranchised by James Smith with Property 14, 20 December 1889. Property  described as a gravel pit.

 

50.  Part of The Memorial Centre & 7 – 12 East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AD (adjoining Property 17).

a) Strip of land adjoining East Common & Property 17 enclosed by Francis Stewart 7 June 1871.

b) Enfranchised with Property 17 on 18 August 1871.

 

51.  Tatchley House 2, Rickmansworth Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0HG and some of the adjoining open land.

a) Transfer by William Foley & William Cock to Thomas Hankins of Denham tailor 3 January 1725.

b) Transfer by Thomas Hankins dec’d to his nephew Edward Hankins, 2 cottages occupied by James Edlin & Richard Frips formerly Henry Monk & William Nash 6 October 1755.

c) Transfer by Edward Hankins dec’d to his kinsman Henry Hankins 25 September 1786. Occupied by John Bennett & Robert Bedford.

d) Transfer by Henry Hankins Dec’d to Elizabeth Hames for life 25 November 1812, 2 cottages formerly occupied by John Bennett & Robert Bedford.

e) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 128 “tenement & garden” owned by Elizabeth Hames. Occupied by John Green.

f) Forfeited 23 May 1855 after 3 proclamations for an heir to Henry Hankins.

g) Granted as vacant waste land upon which there had been 2 cottages to James Edwards 9 July 1873.

h) Transfer by James Edwards dec’d (formerly bailiff to the manor) to his trustees Mrs Eliza Edwards, James Edwards & John Henry Witham 10 June 1885.

i) Transfer by James Edwards as sole surviving trustee of James Edwards dec’d to Arthur James Edwards grandson of James Edwards dec’d 4 December 1907 (formerly known as “Hankins”).

j) Enfranchised by Arthur James Edwards 5 December 1907.

                           

52.  Hartley Court (formerly known as The Pilgrims Homes) 1-5 East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7RN.

a) Enclosed by Sir John Wallis Alexander Bt. 29 January 1874.

b) Enfranchised 25 February 1874.

 

53.  Land in front of The Bull Hotel, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7PA (between the entrance to Main Drive & Property 48).

a) Enclosed by The Duke of Portland as a freehold 11 April 1791.

 

54.  Portlands, New Pond Bungalow, New Pond Cottages, Park Villas, Birch Cottage, Ash Cottage, Gorse Cottage & Lochnagar, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 7RH.

a) Enclosed by James Coles 11 April 1821.

b) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as owned by James Coles. Parcels & occupiers 794 “tenement & garden” John Walden, 795 “house, blacksmiths shop & garden” James Evains, 796 “4 tenements & gardens” Joseph Eldridge, Moses George, James Tilbury & James Langstone, 797 “garden” Moses George, 799 & 800 “ garden” Joseph Eldridge.

c) Transfer by James Coles dec’d to Margaret Summers Jones 1 May 1848. J Coles had built 6 cottages occupied by Widow Arnuth, James Langstone, [blank] Tilbury, Widow Clark, [blank] Goddard & [blank] Alford.

d) Transfer by Margaret Summers Jones dec’d to Maria Tingle under will of J Coles: 6 messuages occupied by James Langstone, James Kilbury, [blank] Harris, Joseph Eldridge, James Kidworth & Widow Barnett 5 June 1877.

e) Enfranchised by Sarah Maria Tingle 3 August 1900. Occupied by Widow Armutt, James Langstone, [blank] Tilbury, Widow Clark, [blank] Goddard & [blank] Alford.

 

55.  2 cottages & gardens on the west side of the roundabout at the junction of High Street & Gravel Hill Chalfont St Peter (now demolished).

a) Transfer by Adam Butterfield (lately held by Richard Disbora) to Mordecai Hewett 23 October 1646.

b) Death of Mordecai Hewett presented. His heir is Israel Hewett aged about 15. A heriot of a cow is taken. Transferred to Joseph Bartlett as mortgagee 4 October 1675.

c) Transfer by Joseph Bartlett dec’d to his son Joseph Bartlett 4 October 1675.

d) Transfer by Joseph Bartlett to Thomas Munke for his life then to John Munke 8 October 1683. Occupier Nicholas Ditus.

e) Transfer by John Monke to Joseph & Frances Dagger, previously the cottage of Mordecai Hewett, 13 October 1694.

f) Transfer by Anne Dagger dec’d to her daughter Mary Bonsey wife of William Bonsey 18 October 1784. Occupier William Newens.

g) Transfer by William Bonsey of Uxbridge tripeman & his wife Mary to William Newens 15 September 1785. Occupier William Newens.

h) Transfer by William Newens to Thomas Wingfield collar maker who died leaving the property to his widow Elizabeth Wingfield 25 September 1786.

i) Transfer by Elizabeth Wingfield dec’d to her son Thomas Wingfield who transferred to Thomas Langstone victualler 17 October 1804.

j) Transfer by Thomas Langstone dec’d to his great nephew Thomas Langstone 30 April 1837.

k) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as Parcel 9 “2 tenements & garden”, owned by Thomas Langstone & occupied by Stephen Nash & Joseph Gurney.

l) Transfer by Thomas Langstone dec’d to his wife Emma Langstone 23 May 1877.

m) Transfer by Emma Langstone dec’d to her daughters Emma Teresa Woodrow & Ellen Rayner 10 February 1885. Occupied by William Newman & William Newman the younger.

n) Transfer by Edwin & Emma Teresa Woodrow & John & Ellen Rayner to Joseph Coleman 21 February 1885. Occupier Joseph Coleman.

o) Transfer by Joseph Coleman dec’d to Herbert Joseph Coleman & Annie Eliza Ranchaert 15 June 1907.

p) Transfer by Annie Eliza Ranchaert dec’d of her half share to Herbert Joseph Coleman who became the sole owner 25 September 1916. Formerly occupied by Joseph Coleman since deceased, then his widow Elizabeth Coleman since deceased, and now [blank] Clarke and [blank] Elderfield.

q) Enfranchised by The Law of Property Act 1922 on 1 January 1926.

r) Compensation Agreement 8 January 1934. Occupier W Elderfield.

 

56.  Part of Church Lane House, Church Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9RE

a) Transfer by James Hunt dec’d to his widow Elizabeth Hunt as guardian of his son James Hunt aged 13 years. 2 cottages late occupied by William Nash & James Hunt & now Elizabeth Hunt widow & James Coles. 17 October 1804.

b) Transfer by James Hunt (his mother having died) to James Coles 28 November 1818. Occupiers Elizabeth Hatch widow & James Coles.

c) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 72 “2 cottages” owned & occupied by James Coles.

d) Transfer by James Coles dec’d to Margaret Summers Jones 1 May 1848, now occupied by [blank].

e) Transfer by Margaret Summers Jones dec’d to Margaret Stevens wife of Charles Robert Stevens of 7 Ashby Road, Islington 5 June 1877.

f) Transferred by Margaret Stevens dec’d to George Stephen Tingle of Abbotts Langley, Herts, & George William Stevens of 16 Great St Helens, City of London, as trustees of James Coles dec’d, 16 April 1903.

g) Enfranchised by George Stephen Tingle & George William Stevens 18 April 1903.

 

57.  The White Hart PH, 30, High Street, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QA

a) Transfer by Hester Clarke dec’d to Sarah Hawkins wife of Robert Hawkins 21 June 1744. House called The Three Horseshoes occupied by Mr Wells.

b) Transfer of adjoining cottage by Henry & Hester Stevens to William Worley 15 October 1757. Occupier Anne Crawford.

c) Transfer of The Three Horseshoes now called The White Hart by Thomas & Sarah Newman to William Worley 9 February 1767.

d) Transfer of the cottage & The White Hart by William Worley dec’d to his brother Edward Worley 24 October 1769. Cottage occupied by Widow Weatherley. Pub late occupied by William Worley & now Edward Worley.

e) Transfer of The White Hart by Edward Worley to Samuel Salter 27 April 1803. Occupier Charles Tickner.

f) Transfer of cottage by Edward Worley dec’d to his sons Jonathan Worley & Thomas Worley who sold to James Chipps 27 April 1803. Occupier Jonathan Worley.

g) Transfer of cottage by James Chipps to Samuel Salter 11 April 1821. Occupier Jonathan Worley.

h) Transfer of cottage & The White Hart by Samuel Salter dec’d to Thomas Fellows upon the trusts of Samuel Salter’s will 18 March 1835. Cottage occupied by Edward Worley.

i) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 53 “White Hart, yard & gardens”. Owned by Sarah Salter. Occupied by Job King.

j) Transfer by Thomas Fellows dec’d to Harvey Winson Fellows 25 June 1886. PH formerly occupied by Edward Worley. Cottage formerly occupied by Ann Crawford, then Widow Wetherley & now Jonathan Worley.

k) Enfranchisement of PH & cottage by Harvey Winson Fellows 18 August 1886.

 

58.  Colston Court (formerly The Gerrards Cross Cof E Primary School), 6 East Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7AA.

Enclosed & transferred as a freehold 27 May 1862 to the Perpetual Curate & Churchwardens of St James Gerrards Cross as a school under the provisions of The School Sites Act 1841.

 

59.  Site of The Old Workhouse 18, 20, 22 & 24 High Street, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QA.

a) Transfer by Anne Penn dec’d (nee Anne Chadwell) wife of William Penn cordwainer to John Hatch, occupied by Thomas Seers, Roger Dunton, Richard Newman & George Sedgwick, 31 August 1761. It was transferred to Anne Chadwell by her grandmother Elizabeth Hatch on 6 October 1755.  

b) Transfer by John Hatch the elder to John Hatch the younger 18 October 1773. 2 messuages now divided into 3 tenements formerly occupied by Thomas Seares, Roger Dunton, Richard Newman & George Sedgewick & now by John Stringwell, John Hill, John Barlow & John Thompson.

c) Transfer by John Hatch dec’d to his son John Hatch 25 November 1812. Occupied as above.

d) Transfer by John Hatch to Alexander Nash & Joseph Randall Gurney Churchwardens & George Ive & John Chitty Stevens Overseers of the Poor for the parish of Chalfont St Peter 30 April 1827: 3 tenements now used for the reception of the poor of Chalfont St Peter. This was transferred in the presence of the Lord of the Manor as a freehold.

e) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as “old workhouse and garden”, parcel 51.

 

60.  Messuage on Gravel Hill now part of open land south of Tatchley House 2 Rickmansworth Lane Chalfont St Peter SL9 0HG (Property 51).

a) Transfer by John & Sarah Rogers to Nathaniel Edwards 15 October 1711: 2 messuages occupied by Robert Hurls & Henry Cawdrey.

b) Transfer by Nathaniel Edwards dec’d to his son Nathaniel Edwards 16 October 1775. Messuage formerly occupied by William Chitch & now Nathaniel Edwards.

c) Transfer by Nathaniel Edwards dec’d to his son John Edwards 25 September 1786. Occupier John Edwards.

d) Transfer by John Edwards dec’d to his son Simeon Edwards 30 April 1827. Occupier Daniel Harris.

e) Simeon Edwards is shown in the tithe award of 1842 as owning a number of Properties. (Probably 132 “ tenement & garden” occupier John Montague).

f) Transfer by Simeon Edwards dec’d to his brother James Edwards 20 July 1881.

g) Transfer by James Edwards dec’d to his trustees Mrs Eliza Edwards, James Edwards & John Henry Witham 10 June 1885. One messuage now converted into 2 cottages & some wasteland.

h) Transfer by James Edwards as sole surviving trustee to Ernest Richard Edwards 4 December 1907 with property 51.

i) Enfranchised by Ernest Richard Edwards 5 December 1907 with Property 51.

 

61.  Messuages on Aylesbury to London Road Chalfont St Peter to the west of the roundabout between High Street and Gravel Hill, demolished when the roundabout was built.

a) Transfer by Thomas Eustace dec’d to his grandson James Goffe 15 April 1776. Formerly occupied by Thomas Wiggersley & William Farmer & now John Goffe & William Penn.

b) Transfer by James Goffe whitesmith to John Gregory 18 October 1784. Occupied by John Goffe & Thomas Green.

c) Transfer by John Gregory dec’d to his son John Gregory 24 October 1794. Occupied by William Nash.

d) Transfer by John Gregory dec’d to Thomas Clarke, Henry Willmott & Georgina Henrietta Willmott nee Gregory who sold to John Edwards 23 June 1814. One messuage formerly two occupied by John Edwards.

e) Transfer by John Edwards dec’d to his son James Edwards 30 April 1827.  Occupied by James Edwards & his mother.

f) Described in the tithe award of 1842 as parcel 7 “house & garden” owned by James Edwards. Occupied by Elisha Healy.

g) Transfer by James Edwards dec’d to his trustees Mrs Eliza Edwards, James Edwards & John Henry Witham 10 June 1885.

h) Enfranchised by James Edwards of Swan Grove, Cricklewood Lane, Middx, 3 December 1903, Eliza Edwards & John Henry Witham having died. Formerly occupied by John Goffe & Thomas Green, since William Nash & then John Edwards. The mines & minerals are reserved to the Lord of the Manor.

 

62.  Mattocks, Shire Lane, Chalfont St Peter (Between Shire Lane & the M25)

a) William atte Hache has felled 1,000 beach masts & tallwood without the permission of the lord value 10s 1325/26.

b) William ate Hecch has felled 4 oaks in Mactokeslond without the lord’s permission 18 June 1327.

c) Henry Mactokes seeks to be admitted of one virgate of villein land called Mactokeslonde 1327 & 1329

d) Henry Mattokes’ claim fails. William the son of John ate Hecche admitted 1330.

d) John ate Hache surrenders Mattok to the lord 27 February 1336.

e) John ate Hecch fells trees without the lord’s permission 26 July 1328.

f) Robert Shepherde has felled & sold divers oaks & beeches value 2s without licence & the house at Mattokes is ruinous 19 May 1361.

g) Robert Shepherde holds one toft with 12 acres of land called Mattokkes according to the custom of the manor 10 February 1362.

h) Death of Robert Sheperde who held one toft with 12 acres of land called Mattokkes 10 February 1362.

i) Richard Pese acknowledges that he holds Mattokkes at the will of the lord & land in Hacche Rydyng with common in the heath called le Smethes Hethe 15 May 1454.

j) Transfer of Nattokes by Richard Ovyr of Rykemansworth dec‘d to his son William Ovyr 15 May 1499.

k) Presented that William Ovyr has sold to John Danyell 18 January 1502.

l) Transfer by John Over dec’d to his son [blank] Over 20 October 1519.

m) Transfer by John Over dec’d to his daughters Matilda and Marion Over 13 June 1531.

n) Transfer by Thomas & Matilda Hawkyn to John Whyte 9 August 1539.

o) John Whyte has done waste in the woods at Nattokkes 21 May 1541 & land forfeited to the lord.

p) Land granted to William Evelyn for 21 years 12 December 1541.

q) Land granted to Abraham & Anne Evelyn (10 acres) at 10 shillings a year 19 October 1613.

r) Transfer by Abraham Evelyn to Ambrose Rock 22 October 1650. Occupied by Thomas Basse.

s) Transfer of Nothocks (18 acres) by Ambrose Rock to Anthony Radcliff professor of sacred theology. Previously occupied by Thomas Basse. 10 October 1687.

t) Transfer of Nothocks (18 acres) by Professor Anthony Radcliffe professor of theology to his nephew Anthony Radcliffe 19 October 1700. Occupier Henry Skidmer.

u) The tithe award of 1842 shows Mattocks as parcel 498 “arable” 15 acres, 3 roods 25 perches, owned by Mary Jones daughter of William Jones the lord of the manor. Occupier Robert Hatch.

 

63.  Hoggeprests, Shire Lane, Chalfont St Peter (adjoining Property 62).

Richard Pese acknowledges that he holds of the lord by will by copy of court roll one parcel of land with appurtenances called Hogepreestys, one acre in Hacche Rydyn with common in Smetheshethe 15 May 1454.

 

64.  Marsham Farm (since 1906 known as Marsham Manor, 7 Marsham Lane, Gerrards Cross SL9 8AE).

a) Mention of Adam de la Mersche 5 March 1308.

b) Undated schedule states that Philip Durdent holds one farthings worth of land of le Maysham.

c) Death of William atte Mersche villein of the lord presented. Isabel daughter of Simon atte Mersche & Eve sister of William both claim the land. Presented that Adam atte Mersche held the land & had two sons Simon & William. The jurors find for Eve as next of kin of William & she is admitted according to the custom of the Manor. 12 March 1342.

 

65.  Access Drive to Austenwood, Austenwood Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 8NL

Conveyance dated 7 March 1916 to Edgar Stratton Liddiard.

 

 

FREEHOLD PROPERTIES STILL HELD OF THE MANOR

 

1.  Gorelands, Chesham Lane, Chalfont St Giles HP8 4AS  

a) John Byweste holds the land of le Gore – one farthing’s worth of land 1349.

b) Thomas Russell holds freely from the lord of the manor one messuage & 48 acres of land & one acre of meadow called Gorelands at the yearly rent of 5 shillings 12 April 1613.

 

2.  Dell Farm Cottage, Gold Hill North, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9JG   

Deed of release 28 May 1908 declared above property freehold of the manor & released it from a quit rent. Owner Mrs Susannah Anne Blanchard. Parcels 620,621,618, & 656 of the tithe award 1842.

 

3.  Pitlands (Chiltern Woodland Burial Park), Potkiln Lane, Beaconsfield, HP9 2XB

a) William Grove the elder of Beaconsfield yeoman acknowledges that he holds freehold from the lord 5 acres of arable land known as Little Pitlands occupied by William Hutchins 4 October 1661.

b) Edward Baldwin holds freely from the lord 50 acres of woodland part of which is called Pitland Spring & 30 acres of arable land at the yearly rent of 6d. 14 October 1693.

c) William Baring du Pre holds freehold land known as Knights Spring at an annual rent of 6d 8 January 1897.  Rent extinguished 3 June 1897.

4.  Roberts Farm, Brawlings Lane, Chalfont St Peter (part of The National Society for Epilepsy, Chesham Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0RJ).

a) Presented that John Butterfield had died owning one messuage with lands called Robardes freely from the lord at the rent of 2 shillings 13 April 1551.

b) Presented that Robert Butterfelde of Robertes owes suite of court 8 October 1594. Also presented that Robert Butterfelde of Robertes drew blood upon Robert Butterfelde the elder. He is fined 3s 4d.

c) Thomas Butterfield holds Robards freely from the lord of the manor. One messuage & 50 acres of land at the yearly rent of 8s 9d. His death presented 23 October 1691. His heir is his grandson Thomas Butterfield.

d) Death of John Crowcher late of Palsgrave Head Court without Temple Bar, London, gentleman, who held freely Robards Farm at the yearly quit rent of 8s 11d. His heir is his wife Elizabeth Crowcher. 16 October 1762.

e) Mary Croucher the granddaughter of John & Elizabeth Croucher acknowledges the freehold 11 April 1791.

 

5.  The Manor of Linsters, Horn Hill, Chalfont St Peter.

Presented that The Master of St Thomas in Southwerke owes suit of court. 29 October 1593.

           

6.  Skippings Farm, Chesham Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0RQ (The National Society for Epilepsy).

a) The tenement of Adam Cuppyng is in the hands of the lord for waste 5 or 12 March 1308.

b) Roger Cupping fined for felling an ash tree near the mill without licence 6 October 1320.

c) Roger Cupping to answer a plea of trespass by Robert ate Borde 7 March 1327.

d) Death of Dulcia Cupping who held half a farthings worth of land. Land taken by the lord as no chattels for a heriot. Her son Robert Cupping has refused to hold the land.  25 January 1337.

e) The lord grants the land to William son of John ate Hecche the younger for 7 years 22 July 1338.

f) Presented that Simon Moldere bought from Walter the steward of the Abbey oaks in the land of Kuppyng for 18s 1 June 1360.

g) Presented that Joseph Wingfield who held Kippins freely has died.  His heir is his son Joseph 3 October 1665.

h) Death of Joseph Wingfield who held Kippins freely is presented 10 October 1687. His son William aged 13 is his heir.

i) Compensation Agreement with The National Society for Epileptics 30 November 1933 stating that Skippings Farm is freehold of the Manor & extinguishing the fee rent of £3 8d.

 

7.  Turvilles (Site of The Community Centre, Gravel Hill, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9QX).

Presented that The Prior of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in England holds lands called Turvilles and owes suit of court 19 October 1458 & 20 June 1460 & 20 October 1461. (The Victoria County History states that this is parcel of the Manor of Temple Bulstrode which was held by the Knights Templar and on their dissolution passed to the Knights Hospitaller).

 

8.  Diddesworths (subsequently known as Orchehill House and now St Mary’s School, Packhorse Road, Gerrards Cross SL9 8JQ).

a) William Disworth mentioned 7 June 1311.

b) Margery the wife of Adam atte Grove to show that she owes no heriot for the tenement formerly of William Disworth 1 October 1311.

c) Roger Montagn who held of the lord one toft & half a caracute of land called Dysworths at the yearly rent of 2s has died 10 February 1362. His wife Sarah inherits.

d) Undated survey shows John atte Grove holding one farthings worth of land called Dyddesworth.

e) Robert Tyler holds freely from the lord by charter one messuage with adjacent land called Dydesworths formerly of John Tyler paying 2s and one pair of gloves worth 1d on 15 May 1454.

f) Death of William Tyler who held as above. The bailiff is ordered to distrain his mother Agnes Pryst to show her title to the land. 20 October 1519.

g) Death of Richard Tyler of Dyddysworth. His heir is his son Thomas Tyler who is under 21. 26 October 1540.

h) Death of Thomas Tyler who held Diddesworthe freely by knight service as above.  His heir is Henry Tyler who will be aged 16 on 27 January 1556. The bailiff is ordered to seize him as the lord’s ward. 1 December 1555.

i) Mention of Henry Hameshire who was fined 4d for putting his cattle into Latchmoor Field before the grain crop had been removed. 29 October 1593. (He had bought Diddesworths from Henry Tyler – See P29 of Gerrards Cross A History by J Hunt & D Thorpe).

                              

9.  Mopes Farm, Denham Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0QH.

a) Mention of Thomas Mareschal of the land of Molp – three farthings worth of land. Undated survey of names & holdings.

b) Richard Lambert has alienated to Thomas Butterfilde certain lands called Mopes which he held from the lord freely 24 October 1569.

 

10.  Part of Tubbs Farm (See Copyhold Property 37 which has the same Title).

a) Acknowledgement by Mary Calton wife of Thomas Calton on inheriting from William Courtney that she holds 40 acres freely of the Manor at a quit rent of 10s a year. See transfer of copyhold property 37 of the same date.

b) Acknowledgement of 13 December 1831 that Mary Carter who held 40 acres of land freely from the lord subject to an annual quit rent of 10s had died & the land has passed to her daughters Mary Anne Heron wife of John Heron of Carlisle Street, Soho Square, surveyor, Elizabeth Watts wife of William Watts of Berners Street, Oxford Street, ladies shoemaker & Rebecca Newcomb of Upper John Street, Fitzroy Square, widow. Tithe award parcels 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, & 422, owned by John Heron. Occupied by Rice Tyrrell.

c) Lowing Tripp has purchased all that part of Tubbs Farm which is freehold subject to an annual quit-rent of 10s on 17 October 1894.

d) Deed of release of the above quit-rent. The property described as freehold or customary freehold of the Manor. 21 September 1899.

                      

11.  Howis’s Mead, between Orchard Grove & Nicol Road, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9NB (Adjoining copyhold property 7).

a) Edward Howis acknowledges that he holds the above land freely from the lord at the quit rent of 10s which was transferred to him by Elizabeth Frisby 23 February 1835.

b) The transfer of the above property by James Edwards to Arthur Robert Verschoyle presented 8 January 1904, held freely from the lord at yearly quit rent of 10s and a relief of 10s. Parcel 655 tithe award of 1842 grass owned & occupied by Simeon Edwards the father of James Edwards who transferred it to him on 10 July 1885. This property has the same ownership as Property 7 which it adjoins.

c) The quit rent was discharged on 6 May 1907.

 

12.  Waterside, 28 West Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7QS

a) Death of Thomas Samsworth on 26 April 1891 who held freely certain land in Latchmoor Field at the yearly rent of 2d. Transfer to his widow Sarah Anne Samsworth. Parcels 809 & 810 of the tithe award each “cottage & garden”. 10 June 1891.

b) Quit rent of 2d a year extinguished in respect of the customary freehold known as Waterside, The Common, Gerrards Cross 7 July 1933. Owner Henry Samsworth.

 

13.  Birchlands (Birchlands Wood) between The Oxford Road & Potkiln Lane, Beaconsfield.

a) An order is made to levy one heriot for Birchmonde 12 December 1323.

b) The hall moot presents that Lord Ralph de Wedon, who acquired the tenement of Elias ate Birch, owes suit of court of 8s a year. 28 November 1325.

c) Defaults by Lord Ralph de Wedon presented 7 January 1326, 23 August 1330 & 3 December 1330.

d) Mention of Ralph de Wedone distrained for the land of Elias atte Birche 23 October 1332.

e) Ralph de Wedone holds the land of Elias de la Byrche – one farthings worth of land. Undated list.

f) Order to distrain the tenants of the late Lord Williams viz Richard Wenman for the land called Birchland held by knight service 7 October 1561.

g) Richard Baldwyn acknowledges that he holds freely from the lord of the manor 50 acres of wood & 39 acres of land in Chalfont 12 April 1613.

h) Nicholas Grove makes fealty for 5 acres of land & pasture being parcel of Burchland lately purchased from Richard Baldwyn held freely by charter from the manor 18 October 1615.

i) Presented that Birchlands is owned by Edmund Wallers & occupied by Henry Balgrave & held as a freehold of the Manor at the yearly rent of 15s which is extinguished but fealty & suit of court remain 3 October 1656.

 

14.  The Manor of the Vicarage of Chalfont St Peter

Compensation memorandum of 9 December 1935 states that this is a customary freehold estate attached to the Vicarage of Chalfont St Peter at a quit rent of 5s a year which was then extinguished.

 

15.  Latchmoor, Gerrards Cross (now The Old Vicarage 26, Bailiffs Cottage 25, Cullens Cottage 24 & The Studio 25, West Common, Gerrards Cross SL9 7QS).

Compensation memorandum of 21 September 1935 states that the above property is a customary freehold owned by Frederick Cullen at a quit rent of 2s a year which was then extinguished.

             

16.  Part of Roughwood Park, Burtons Lane, Chalfont St Giles, HP8 4AE     (Probably Property 18).

a) Presented that Walter Morford dec’d had transferred the above Property to H M Parsons held at a yearly rent of 19s & owes suit & service. 25 November 1925.

b) Compensation memorandum of 19 September 1935 states that this property is a customary freehold owned by Herbert Martin Parsons at a quit rent of 19s payable annually at Michaelmas which was then extinguished.

 

17.  The Felde (The most northern part of the Manor now in Chorleywood).

a) John Grace made fealty for 8 acres of land formerly of Robert ate Felde 1325.

b) Alexander Cheyne made fealty & acknowledges that he holds 30 acres of land formerly of William ate Felde at 5shillings 1.5 pence a year 10 April 1326.

                      

18.  Philipshill Wood and 1, 2 & 3 Philipshill Cottages, Old Shire Lane, Chorleywood WD3 5PN

a) An order is made to distrain the tenement of Philipshill for many defaults 5 March 1308. [Part of Roughwood Park (Property 16) is in Philipshill & 16 & 18 are probably the same property].

b) Presented that Edward Restwold who holds Philippshill freely at a rent of 10s a year has died. His heir is Anthony Restwold. 25 October 1547.

c) Order to distrain Thomas Fletewode for lands late of Restwold called Philippes Hill 7 October 1561.

d) Presented that Thomas Fletwoode who held lands & tenements called Phillippeshille freely at 10 shillings a year has died. His heir is Edmund Fletwoode 27 March 1571.

d) Order to distrain Edmund Fletwoode to make fealty for Phelipshill 21 April 1572.

                          

19.  Brawlings Farm, Brawlings Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0RE.

a) Presented that William Ewer who held freely one messuage & land called Rawlins at 23 shillings a year has died. His heir is his son Thomas Ewer 16 April 1594.

b) Transfer by Thomas Ewer to Arthur Nash presented who acknowledged that he holds the land freely 9 May 1603.

c) Presented that Joseph Wingfield who held Rawlings freely has died. His son Joseph is his heir. 3 October 1665.

 

 

FREEHOLDS NO LONGER HELD OF THE MANOR

(This is where they were acquired by the Lord of the Manor and then disposed of by him).

 

20.  Campions/The Manor of Bulstrodes or Brudenells (Chalfont Park, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0DZ).

a) Order to distrain Geoffrey Bulstrode for default of the tenements he purchased from Hugh Campion 4 May 1321.

b) Geoffrey de Bolstrode’s bailiff Martin gives from the wood of the lord without consent 1325-1326.

c) Geoffrey de Bulstrode distrained 11 pounds of pepper for the tenement of Hugh le Campion which he claims is held by a charter held by 2s annual rent for service except foreign service 23 October 1332.

d) Death of Geoffrey Bolstrod whose heir is Adam de Bolestrod 13 December 1346.

e) Edmund Brudenell holds freely Campyones bought by him from William Whaplode at 2s a year 14 June 1469.

f) Robert Drury owned this manor when he acquired the Manor from the Crown after the dissolution of Missenden Abbey in 1539.

                    

21.  Ashwells Farm, Chesham Lane, Chalfont St Giles HP8 4AS.   

a) John de Asschewelle holds one virgate of land. Undated schedule P39.

b) Inquiry concerning one tenement with adjacent lands called Aysshewelles late in the tenure of Groves 19 October 1458.

c) Presented that William Sydley holds of the lord one messuage & 120 acres called Ashewelles by knight service at 10s a year 21 May 1541.

d) Anthony Radcliffe made fealty for Ashwells Farm & 140 acres of land held freely & inherited from his father Thomas Radcliffe 23 October 1691 & 3 October 1665.

 

22.  Mumfords (now called The Manor House), Mumfords Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 8TQ.

a) Death of Robert Mountford who held one messusage & one caracute of land presented 21 December 1351.

b) Presented that Roger Montagn who held of the lord one messuage with one caracute of land formerly of Robert Montford has died. His wife Sarah now owns it made fealty & acknowledged that she holds at the rent of 13s 4d a year. 10 February 1362.

c) Death of Edmund Brudenell who held freely lands called Monnfordes at 8s 5d a year 14 June 1469. His heir is Drew Brudenell.

d) Presented that Thomas Langeshawe chaplain of the chantry of the Blessed Mary in Chalfont St Peter called Waplod Chauntry holds one tenement & 100 acres of land called Mumfordes by knight service paying 16s 10d a year. He is ordered to do homage. 21 May 1541. Later he does homage.

e) Richard Whitchurch owned this land when he acquired the Manor from Thomas Gower in 1654.

 

23.  Layter’s Green Farm, Layter’s Green Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 8TH

Death of Edmund Brudenell who held freely one tenement with lands called Leters now in the tenure of William Copshereve at 35s 5.5d a year. His heir is Drew Brudenell. 14 June 1469.

 

24.  Stampwell Farm, Oxford Road, Beaconsfield HP9 2XE. 

Nicholas Plomer the elder and Nicholas Plomer the younger held the land Stompe – one virgate of land (undated schedule).

Death of Robert Picke who held freely from the lord one messuage & lands called Stompewell Farm. His heir is his son Robert Picke who has sold it to Richard Whitchurch (who became Lord of the Manor in 1691). 12 December 1685.

 

 

FORMER DEMESNE LANDS OF THE MANOR

 

1.  The Grange/The Rectory (Holy Cross Convent School), Gold Hill East, Chalfont St Peter SL9 9DW.

a) Edmund Brudenell the lord’s lessee of the Rectory of Chalfont has not mended the park there upon the lord’s mansion of his manor or the kitchen cowhouse & stable 3 March 1501.

b) John Compton is lessee of the Rectory of Chalfont. Presented that the kitchen & other building of the Rectory are in disrepair. 26 October 1540.

 

2.  Newlands/Newland Park, and The Chiltern Open Air Museum, Gorelands Lane, Chalfont St Giles HP8 4AD.

a) John Raulyn places himself for a trespass with 12 pigs at Newelond by the pledge of the bailiff 13 December 1346.

b) Death of Thomas Hackett who held Newlands is presented but the jury do not know what benefit falls to the lord by reason of his death 2 October 1655.

 

 

​back to top